Through legislative appropriations, the Iowa Governor's STEM Advisory Council is able to offer exemplary STEM programs throughout the state. STEM Scale-Up programs are programs that have demonstrated success in increasing student interest and achievement in STEM no matter the size of the community. A top priority of the STEM Council is to help improve learner interest and achievement in STEM areas. To help meet this goal, 13 exemplary STEM programs have been competitively selected to be implemented throughout Iowa in 2020-21.
WHO CAN APPLY?
PreK-12 educators, both in and out of the classroom, are eligible to apply, so long as they have undergone a criminal background check as a requirement of employment. Eligible applicant(s) include public and private school PreK-12 teachers, youth organization leaders, informal education professionals, home school associations and others who deliver STEM education programming. Every applicant must secure the commitment and signature of the institution’s lead administrator(s).
THIS PROGRAM IS AN AWARD, NOT A GRANT.
It is a program delivered to selected applicants. However, applicants who propose to cost-share by absorbing some expenses (e.g. supplies, travel or administration, etc.) or bringing additional funding (e.g. a grant or private sector donation, etc.) will be considered favorably during the review process. Some program options require cost-sharing as noted in their descriptions.
HELP US EVALUATE THE PROGRAMS.
Once the program has been implemented, all awarded educators will be required to participate in assessing the effectiveness of their awarded program with the following:
- An educator survey to be completed at the end of the STEM Scale-Up Program; and
- A student participant list to be completed at the end of the STEM Scale-Up Program.
[Note: Some STEM Scale-Up Program providers may request additional evaluation data.]
REQUIRED MATERIALS AND RESOURCES FOR THE APPLICATION
If you have questions about the program or the application process, please contact Kristine Bullock at email@example.com
- Educator: is any school (public, private or home school association), a Boy/Girl Scout troop, a 4H Club, library, a childcare organization or any organization that works with youth—formally or informally.
- Scale-Up Programs: programs must be “scaleable” to any community in Iowa, regardless of that community's resources or size. A Scale-Up STEM program must be well established programming that can be sustained beyond initial Advisory Council investment. A Scale-Up program must be able to adapt to rapid and exponential growth of an organization’s programming and administrative operations. Providers are expected to have the staffing and capacity necessary to expand their operations from a small number of sites to statewide coverage.
- Service Provider: (selected through this Scale-Up Program proposal process) is an independent contractor who agrees to provide related scale-up programming and services to the awarded educators as part of the Iowa STEM Scale-Up initiative. Programming may include, but not be limited to, curricula, teacher professional development, kits, materials, equipment, mentor systems, on-line resources and/or educational technology.
2023 - 2024 STEM Scale-Up Program Provider RFP is Open
- August 1, 2022: Request for Proposals posted and disseminated.
- August 23, 2022, 12:00 PM Central Standard Time: Webinar for Proposers
- September 13, 2022, 11:59 PM Central Standard Time (just before midnight): Proposal submission deadline.
- September 14 - November 14, 2022: Review period.
- November 14, 2022: Proposers notified.
- November 15, 2022 - January 2023: Selected Program Providers collaborate with STEM Council network administrators to prepare materials for the educator application phase.
- January 9, 2023: Educator application opens
- February 28, 2023, 11:59 PM Central Standard Time: Educator application submission deadline.
- March - April 2023: Regional STEM Advisory Boards determine awardee educators.
- April 7, 2023: Awardees notified.
- May 2023: Program Providers introduced to awarded educators to begin planning.
- Summer 2023: Training, professional development in preparation for program implementation academic year 2023-2024.
Visit https://iowastem.org/scaleup-provider-application to learn more!
Scale-Up Application Timeline
- 2022-2023 Scale-Up Program Menu Application Open January 10 - February 28, 2022
- March 1 - April 7, 2022 Review period
- April 8, 2022 - Awardees notified
- April 2022 - Program providers introduced to awarded educators to begin planning
- Summer 2022 - Training professional development in preparation for program implementation during the 2022-2023 academic year
- July 1, 2022 - May 31, 2023 - Scale-Up Program implementation