Through legislative appropriations, the Iowa Governor's STEM Advisory Council is able to offer exemplary STEM programs throughout the state. STEM Scale-Up programs are programs that have demonstrated success in increasing student interest and achievement in STEM no matter the size of the community. A top priority of the STEM Council is to help improve learner interest and achievement in STEM areas. To help meet this goal, 10 exemplary STEM programs have been competitively selected to be implemented throughout Iowa in 2018-19, seven of the ten are new to the menu.
WHO CAN APPLY?
PreK-12 educators, both in and out of the classroom, are eligible to apply, so long as they have undergone a criminal background check as a requirement of employment. Eligible applicant(s) include public and private school PreK-12 teachers, youth organization leaders, informal education professionals, home school associations and others who deliver STEM education programming. Every applicant must secure the commitment and signature of the institution’s lead administrator(s).
THIS PROGRAM IS AN AWARD, NOT A GRANT.
It is a program delivered to selected applicants. However, applicants who propose to cost-share by absorbing some expenses (e.g. supplies, travel or administration, etc.) or bringing additional funding (e.g. a grant or private sector donation, etc.) will be considered favorably during the review process. Some program options require cost-sharing as noted in their descriptions.
HELP US EVALUATE THE PROGRAMS.
Once the program has been implemented, all awarded educators will be required to participate in assessing the effectiveness of their awarded program with the following:
- An educator survey to be completed at the end of the STEM Scale-Up Program; and
- A student participant list to be completed at the end of the STEM Scale-Up Program.
[Note: Some STEM Scale-Up Program providers may request additional evaluation data.]
REQUIRED MATERIALS AND RESOURCES FOR THE APPLICATION
- 2018-19 STEM Scale-Up Program Menu
- Help Guide
- A copy of the STEM Scale-Up Program application
- 2018-19 Scoring Rubric
- FAQ Page and Application Tutorial Video
If you have questions about the program or the application process, please contact Kristine Bullock at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Educator: is any school (public, private or home school association), a Boy/Girl Scout troop, a 4H Club, library, a childcare organization or any organization that works with youth—formally or informally.
- Scale-Up Programs: programs must be “scaleable” to any community in Iowa, regardless of that community's resources or size. A Scale-Up STEM program must be well established programming that can be sustained beyond initial Advisory Council investment. A Scale-Up program must be able to adapt to rapid and exponential growth of an organization’s programming and administrative operations. Providers are expected to have the staffing and capacity necessary to expand their operations from a small number of sites to statewide coverage.
- Service Provider: (selected through this Scale-Up Program proposal process) is an independent contractor who agrees to provide related scale-up programming and services to the awarded educators as part of the Iowa STEM Scale-Up initiative. Programming may include, but not be limited to, curricula, teacher professional development, kits, materials, equipment, mentor systems, on-line resources and/or educational technology.